Product Name: Copper sulphate
Proper Shipping Name: ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES, SOLID, N.O.S.
Other Names: Blue copper, Blue stone, Blue vitriol, Copper (II) sulfate, Copper sulfate, Cupric sulfate, Cupric sulphate, Sulfate de Cuivre
UN Number: 3077
DG/ADR Class: 9
Packing Group: III
Hazchem Code: 2X
Poisons Schedule: S6
Product Use: Used in agriculture as a soil additive, pesticide, feed additive; germicide; leather and textile mordant; pigment; manufacture of batteries; electroplating and electro refining of copper; medicine; wood and pulp preservative; engraving and lithography; ore, steel and rubber processing; asphalt treatment.
Appearance: Blue crystals in pentahydrate form. White hygroscopic crystals in monohydrate form and grayish powder in anhydrous form.
Melting Point: 650°C Decomposes
Boiling Point: Not applicable
Vapour Pressure: 7.3 mmHg at 25°C
Specific Gravity: 3.603
Flash Point: Not applicable (does not burn)
Flamm. Limit LEL: Not applicable
Flamm. Limit UEL: Not applicable
Solubility in Water: Very soluble
Auto ignition Temp.: Not applicable
Vapor Density: Not applicable
pH Value: 4.0 (0.2 M @ 4°C)
Solubility in Organic Solvents: Soluble in methanol and glycerol; slightly soluble in ethanol.
Molecular Weight: 159.61
Dehydration: The pentahydrate loses two water molecules of hydration at 30°C, 2 more at 110°C and becomes anhydrous by 250°C.
Name Copper sulphate
Proportion 97-100 %
HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION
Acute - Swallowed
Harmful if swallowed. Copper salts impart a metallic taste in the mouth. Burning sensation in the throat and repeated vomiting are typical effects. More severe poisonings cause diarrhoea and ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract. Can be fatal.
Acute - Eye
Will cause irritation in contact with the eyes. Dilute copper sulphate solutions have been used as topical antibiotics. Copper sulphate particles in the eye could cause local inflammation, tissue destruction (necrosis), corneal opacity and adhesion of the eyelid to the eye. Traces of sulphuric acid impurity may contribute to these effects.
Acute - Skin
Will cause irritation in contact with the skin, which will result in redness, itchiness, and possible dermatitis.
May cause irritation to the mucous membrane and upper airways. Dusts and mists (copper solutions) may also cause irritation of the nasal passages and throat. Ulceration of the nasal septum is possible, but may be due to traces of sulphuric acid impurities.
HEALTH EFFECTS SKIN: Repeated or prolonged exposure to copper salts can cause irritation, producing itching and redness of the skin. Some individuals may become sensitized to copper sulfate and develop allergic contact dermatitis.
INHALATION: Repeated inhalation of copper sulfate mists (e.g. Bordeaux mixture) may induce a condition known as 'vineyard sprayer's lung'. Greenish-tumours occur in the liver and lungs of afflicted individuals. The disease is asymptomatic until later stages. Symptoms include weakness, malaise, loss of appetite and weight, cough and greenishbrown sputum.
INGESTION: Chronic occupational exposure to copper sulfate by ingestion is not likely. Symptoms would be like those of Wilson's disease, which include liver, brain, muscle and kidney disfunction.
CARCINOGENICITY Although some individuals afflicted with 'vineyard sprayers' lung' developed lung cancer, there is no indication of an increased incidence of cancer due copper sulfate exposure, per se.
TERATOGENICITY AND EMBRYOTOXICITY There are no reports of teratogenicity or embryo toxicity in humans. Animal studies indicate that a deficiency or embryo toxicity in humans. Animal studies indicate that a deficiency or excess of copper in the body can cause significant harm to developing embryos. The net absorption of copper is limited and embryo toxic levels are unlikely from industrial exposure.
TOXICOLOGICAL SYNERGISTIC MATERIALS Information not available
MUTAGENICITY No human data available. Negative or inconclusive results in short-term tests.
POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATION Copper is an essential element and its level in the body is strictly controlled. Under most conditions, excess copper is excreted in the urine and feces (via the bile).
HEALTH HAZARD COMMENTS Copper salts may decrease the toxicity of molybdenum.
Zinc salts may decrease the toxicity of copper salts.
Immediately wash out mouth with water, and then give plenty of water to drink. SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.
If in eye wash with copious amounts of water for approximately 15 minutes holding eyelid open. Take care not to rinse contaminated water into the non-affected eye. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
Remove contaminated clothing, shoes and leather goods (e.g. watchbands, belts). Wash gently and thoroughly with water and non-abrasive soap. Ensure contaminated clothing is washed before re-use or discard. If contact is more than of minor nature, SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
Remove the source of contamination or move the victim to fresh air. Ensure airways are clear and have a qualified person give oxygen through a face mask if breathing is difficult. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
First Aid Facilities
Safety showers, eye wash fountains, and normal wash room facilities.
Consult a doctor and/or the nearest Poison Control Centre for all exposures except minor instances of inhalation or skin contact. All first aid procedures should be periodically reviewed by a doctor familiar with the material and its conditions of use in the workplace. Advice to Doctor Treat symptomatically or consult Poison Information Centre.
Other Health Hazard Information
PRECAUTIONS FOR USE
Copper, dusts & mists (as Cu) TWA: 1 mg/m3
Copper (fume) TWA: 0.2 mg/m3
Flammability: Fire Hazards In common with many organic chemicals, may form flammable dust clouds in air. For precautions necessary refer to safety information on dust explosion hazards. Not combustible.
SPILLS & DISPOSALS
Increase ventilation. Evacuate all unnecessary personnel. Wear Self-Contained Breathing
Apparatus (S.C.B.A) and full protective clothing to minimize skin exposure. Dampen
spilled material with water to avoid airborne dust, then transfer material to a suitable
container. Use absorbent paper dampened with water to pick up remaining material.
Wash surfaces well with soap and water. Seal all wastes in vapor tight plastic bags for
eventual disposal. If large quantities of this material enter the waterways contact the
Environmental Protection Authority, or your local Waste Management Authority.
Disposal: Disposal of this material should be undertaken by a registered chemical disposal company.
Fire/Explosion Hazard: On burning will emit noxious fumes.
Hazardous Combustion Products: Combustion products include oxides of carbon and other noxious smoke.
Fire Fighting Procedures: Wear Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (S.C.B.A) and full protective clothing to minimize skin exposure.
Extinguishing Media: Use extinguishing media suitable for surrounding environment.
STABILITY: Stable under normal conditions
INCOMPATIBILITY -MAT'LS TO AVOID ACETYLENE - copper salts may react to form explosive acetylides.
HYDROXYLAMINE - anhydrous copper sulfate can cause ignition upon contact with hydroxylamine due to the heat of coordination.
Hazchem Code!! 2X
Oral (rat) LD50 : 300 mg/kg
Skin (rat) LD50 : > 2 gm/kg
Information on Ecological Effects
Harmful to aquatic life.
H315 Causes skin irritation.
H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
H410 Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
H302 Harmful if swallowed.
P273 Avoid release to the environment.
P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
P501 Dispose of contents/container to ... Dispose of waste and residues in accordance with local authority requirements.
Harmful, Irritant, Dangerous for the envoirenment,
24 hours contact
Telephone: +44 207 193 4945
This MSDS summaries our best knowledge of the health and safety hazard information of the product and how to safely handle and use the product in the workplace. Each user should read this MSDS and consider the information in the context of how the product will be handled and used in the workplace including its use in conjunction with other products. If clarification or further information is needed to ensure that an appropriate risk assessment can be made, the user should contact Cuprichem Limited Our responsibility for products sold is subject to our standard terms and conditions, a copy of which is sent to our customers and is also available on request.
End of MSDS
We produce copper sulphate technical grade, agricultural grade, and free flowing copper sulphate, all with extremely low heavy metal content.
Customer satisfaction is our main target.
Our sales and support teams are working only to provide your needs on time.